DECA State

DECA+State

DECA is the pre-professional business program at Holt High School led by teachers Mrs. Chrismer and Mrs. Wofford. DECA runs the semiannual Ice Cream Apprentice where students operate and manage ice cream stands on the patio behind the school during lunches. DECA attended a Fall Leadership Conference in Lake of the Ozarks to hone their marketing and leadership skills. At this conference, Missouri DECA voted our very own students into prestigious high offices: Allie Barry (’17) as the President and Hailey Barry (’17) as the Vice President of Communications. Through marketing classes, over 90 students were prepared and sent to compete in the Saint Louis area district competition. At this competition, held at the Chesterfield Mall, students could choose from a variety of written (intensive, pre-prepared research operations) and roleplay (rigorous, on-the-spot thinking) events. The district that Holt competes in is district 6–the biggest and most competitive district in the state. Still, however, 27 students from Holt advanced to the next round of competition at the state level. The state competition was held at the Lake of the Ozarks at a resort on the waterfront and housed over 1,000 students for the multiple-day competition. Here, a variety of workshops were orchestrated by business professionals to prepare students for the business world with classes such as “dress for success” and “the world of finance” available free of charge. From this state conference, 11 Holt students qualified to attend the International DECA competition in Anaheim, California where students can compete for scholarships and network with real-world business professionals. Those 11 students are Allie Barry, Caitlyne McGarrity (’18), Carter Hult (’17), Dana Whiting (’17), Ellie Bennis (’17), Gillian Wagner (’18), Hailey Barry, Lizz Miller (’17), Matt Kaiser (’17), Megan Harris (’17), and Pamela Morales (’17). If you are interested in joining this business world, talk to Mrs. Wofford in room B308.