The student news site of  Holt High School

The Tribe

Total Totality

Kurtis Bertel
The sun begins to peek out as the moon reaches totality.

Come 1:00 p.m. on August 21, the whole country fixed their eyes on the sky as the shadow of the moon passed over the face of the sun.

Everyone at Holt High School was able to go out onto the field and look up at the sky, thanks to the joint efforts of teachers and administrators. The school provided glasses and safety lessons so that the school could enjoy the solar eclipse.

Everyone was buzzing with the start of the eclipse. After all, this event only happens every 18 months, and most of the time it is in a different country or over an ocean. The next one in the United States takes place in 2024, however this one will take a different path.

“I honestly feel really blessed; it is a really big opportunity. I never really thought about it until it happened, but I am really glad it did. I feel insignificant and small in the universe now.””

— Jasmine Hughes

Before the moon even covered the sun, student Joey Heckman (’21) was filled with excitement to see what would happen. “[It] makes me feel great knowing that I am part of a once in a lifetime opportunity.”

Heading outside, the field was swarming with people searching for friends and preparing for the inevitable eclipse by laying down, setting up areas of their own, and readying cameras. As the moon fully passed over the sun, the students erupted in cheers. Jasmine Hughes (’20) watched with wide (covered) eyes and a smile on her face.”I honestly feel really blessed; it is a really big opportunity. I never really thought about it until it happened, but I am really glad it did. I feel insignificant and small in the universe now.”

As the sun returned and students reluctantly cleared the field, some students and teachers lingered to watch every lasting moment that they could. As everyone wrapped up, Peyton Lenac (’18) had many things to say. ” I absolutely adored it! It was the coolest experience and I felt blessed to experience it with my fellow peers. I feel the school prepared me very well.”

The entire world agrees that this once in a lifetime experience is something that will stay in our hearts for years to come.

1 Comment

One Response to “Total Totality”

1. Bre Orick on September 27th, 2017 11:56 am

I love the pictures taken. This was a once in a lifetime event and the pictures really capture the moment.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Total Totality

Sports

Dribbling Into Greatness

• TLTV

TLTV Episode 1

• Total Totality

Student Life

Homework Woes and Wonders

• Total Totality

Uncategorized

A Positive Mind, A Positive Life

• Total Totality

Uncategorized

2nd Annual Battle of The Bands for Kids Rock Cancer

• Total Totality

Uncategorized

Turkey Drive

• Total Totality

Uncategorized

Veterans For All

• Total Totality

Student Life

Katie Smith Breathes Life Into The People Of Holt

• Uncategorized

Varsity Boys Soccer

• Uncategorized

Varsity Soccer Boys

Total Totality