DECA Benefits

Gillian Wagner, Jordan Deekan, and Michon Forrest work the DECA store during six period lunches. “Working in the store is my favorite and most relaxing part of the day,” say Michon Forrest ‘18. The environment in the store is something everyone should experience.

Holt High School is full of fun activities, clubs, sports and other opportunities for students and members of the Holt community to make a change and gain new life lessons along the way. A prominent and well known club around not only our school, but around the world is known as DECA. DECA is a way for students to get a head start and gain knowledge in marketing and administration for their future careers after High School. The members compete in competitions each year that mimic the way businesses and management positions at jobs work. Holt DECA is always a great competitor to other schools around the state. One way they have been able to make such a name for themselves is through fundraising. Without the money they gain from fundraising, they would not be able to get where they are today.

For over ten years now, Holt High School has had an addition to our cafeteria to add just a little more fun and delicious snacks into our lunches. We call this the DECA store. From Smoothie King to Oreo cookies, they have been pulling students in for as long as anyone can remember. Not only is the DECA store a good place to get your snacks, it is also a cool place to hangout. With the relaxing environment that the store creates, it is not hard for students to find a liking towards it which helps give a steady flow of profit with the foods on sale.

Not only is it a good way to fundraise, students are also the ones working it. “Working in the DECA store has helped me gain a good customer service experience and it is a really good problem solving and learning experience,” say Jordan Deekan ‘18. The DECA store is a type of little business, owned and operated by the responsible students of Holt. The store gives them knowledge of the customer service and business managing world. It is a good way to meet new people and socialize with new friends. “I like getting to see new faces everyday, this is a big school so it is hard to know everyone and the DECA store makes it easier to do so,” says Gillian Wagner ‘18. The store has brought students together as well as brought money in for the club and it is impressive to any outsider looking in.

“My favorite part about being in the store everyday is the hands on things that we do everyday,” says Michon Forrest ‘18. The students that work in the store are responsible for the money earned and the profits go straight to the club. The benefits of the store are truly great and it has been a great addition to the High School lunches. The DECA store can bring kids together in a positive manner.