The Tribe

A Walk to Happiness

Maddy Hunke finds a way with her motto: When in doubt, work it out.

Maddy Hunke, Contributor

As I am sure you know, a lot of people in this school aren’t really truly happy with their lives, or themselves. I understand, I really do, but I’ve grown so much since freshman year and I’ve got some tips to share with you. I hope this helps.

• Number one is always Stop Caring what other people think of you. I know it’s easier said than done, but life becomes so much better once you say “who cares? I’m having fun.” Just try to remind yourself of this whenever those thoughts start drifting in.
  • Look in the mirror. Don’t like what you see? Find one good thing you see in yourself. It doesn’t matter if it’s a part of your body or your personality. It really helps once those good things start piling up.
  • Stop caring about things that will not matter in a year or two. Someone stopped being your friend? Better for you to find better friends, their loss. Someone said something behind your back? Who cares, you know what’s true. Got a bad grade on a test? Is that really going to matter once you leave schooling? Take experience from it. Life becomes so much easier once you just let go of the little things.
  • Stop caring about what you can’t change. If it’s already happened, being overly upset about it won’t help anything but making you more upset. It can’t and will not change. So what is the point in being sad.
  • Stop getting mad over trivial things just to prove a point. If someone wrongs you, let it go (of course this depends on how bad of a thing they’ve done). Life gets a lot happier once you realize that they made a mistake, but they still want to be a good part of your life. You shouldn’t cut people out just like that.
  • Start building good relationships with your parents. You’re going to live with them at least until school is over with so why make it harder on everyone with a bad attitude. If home life is good, it’ll seem like life outside the home will be better as well. Of course they’ll annoy you from time to time, but they’re your parents, it’s their job. You’ve just gotta let it go and forgive once in awhile.
  • Stop talking to toxic people. If someone only talks bad about other to you, what do you think they say about you behind your back? If they’re mean to strangers or anyone who doesn’t fit their standards just drop them. Toxic, mean people need to learn they won’t be tolerated