The Day of Love

Emily Teismann

Although there will be no HOCO proposals this year, some students are going to try to enjoy the moment.

February 14th, a day known as Valentine’s Day. Back in the majesty of Ancient Rome, legends arose about a Catholic saint who went by the name of Valentine, hence the name. One of these legends was when the Roman Emperor Claudius II deemed single men better soldiers than those who were wed, so he outlawed marriage for young men. Saint Valentine, appalled upon discovery of this, defied the Emperor and continued to marry young couples in secret. When Valentine’s actions reached the Emperor’s ears, Claudius sentenced the saint to death. Another legend told of Valentine, having been imprisoned, writing the first valentine card and sending it to a young girl, who he had gained affections for.  This young girl may of been the jailer’s daughter, who could of visited the saint during his confinement. Before his death, it is said that that the letter was signed “From your Valentine.” 

To Holt’s students, Valentine’s Day is a divide, like that of the feud between that of the Capulets and Montagues in Shakespeare’s tragedy of Romeo and Juliet. The day is either one of red roses, luscious chocolates, and love or a day of self pity, ridiculousness, and overcompensation. Some view it as an excuse to present people with gifts or gorge themselves on candy. “I still think it’s cute, but it means really nothing to me. It’s just another excuse for gifts and a fancy date,” said Sarah Broughton (’19).

Others deem it a day of celebrating love for friends, significant others, and family alike. “Valentine’s Day means love and appreciation to me. I feel like it’s a good day to show some extra love towards those special people in your life, but I think it’s misinterpreted. Most think it’s just for couples who have romantic intentions, but definitely not! It’s for everyone who loves anyone else, including friends and family,” said Ruth Ann King (’21). Unlike their feelings towards it, Valentine’s Day plans are as different as night and day. Variety is the spice of life as they say and this is a prime example.

Though on a school day, Valentine’s Day plans continue on. A number of students plan on going on dates or just spending time with their significant other. “I’m gonna hang out with my girlfriend. Just because it’s an excuse to spend time with them  doesn’t mean I’m going to pass it up,” said Alexander Meyer (’21). 

Some other high schoolers have work, and can not participate in the loving festivities. “I have to work that day. Yay,” said Zach Kelley (’21).

A few decide to hang out with family. “I plan to eat chocolate covered strawberries with the fam,” said Devon Dietiker (’22).

Or, some are doing something entirely different. “I’m going to bake brownies for my friends and celebrate Chinese New Years as well,” said Amelia Troung (’21). As long as one has fun, that’s all that matters. But food doubles the fun.

But regardless of all this, the gifts, the sweets, the love, Valentine’s Day is whatever it means to you.

Happy Valentine’s Day, Holt.