Swofford Game: Swish

Emily Teisman

With ticket sales for the Swofford Game soaring, several students will be awarded scholarships in May.

Excitement runs rampant through the students and teachers as Friday, March 15 approaches. The traditional showdown between the staff and the seniors is on the horizon, promising victory for only one. Let the game begin!

Scott Swofford was head football coach at Wentzville Holt High School during the 1986-1998 seasons. During the last couple years of his coaching career, Swofford worked as an assistant to the running back and special teams coach for the Washington University Bears. During this time, the team earned its only NCAA playoff appearance to date. Then in September 2000, Swofford suddenly died of a heart attack. His wife, Runa Swofford, worked at Wentzville Timberland High School. She later purchased a bell in memory of her husband. The ringing of the bell after football victories has become a tradition at Timberland along with an annual basketball game between the faculty and seniors.

Now 19 years later, this tradition lives on. For the last 11 years, teachers have reigned victorious and seniors are looking to change that. “Students will win.” said Dylan Wiese (‘19) confidently. Wiese will be playing in the game. Some students will be in the pep band.

As for spectators, excitement flourishes. “I am excited! I have never been and it is going to be fun!” said Grace Fugate (‘19). Tickets are sold at $3 per person until at the end of the early release on Friday. If students buy tickets before Friday, they receive a free coupon book containing numerous useful passes like a homework exemption, a restroom pass, and a question correction on a unit test. On Friday, tickets will be sold at $5 per person at the door before the 7 o’clock game, with no chance of receiving a coupon book.  

Attend Holt’s annual Swofford Game at 7 PM Friday, March 15th.