Politics: Where Do You Stand?

Getty Images

Morgan Romanski, Writer

Politics has become more and more important to kids than it has ever been before. In a time where politics is blending in with our public health so much, high schoolers and even middle schoolers are becoming involved with politics. The question is: why is this and what are these students’ views? 

With COVID-19 cases continuing to soar, a lot of attention has been turned towards leadership in the White House and how it could be improved or otherwise. 

“I don’t think Trump handled it well, and really I think things should have been shut down and have masks required in the beginning,” an anonymous student said. “He handled it pretty badly.”

This mindset is common among younger audiences. Newer generations typically have more liberal views than the previous ones. However, this does not mean that conservative youth do not exist. 

While a lot of students condemn President Trump for handling the coronavirus the way he did, many support him as well. 

Another topic that has been in the spotlight this year is the Black Lives Matter movement. Some condemn the way the message is being conveyed but agree with the overall goal, others agree with the message entirely, and a few condemn the movement as a whole.

In many cases, younger students who become involved in politics more often than not derive their views from either their parents. More conservative states tend to have more conservative adults, and therefore more conservative children. The same could apply to liberal states.

This is not always the case. Many actually break away from their parents’ beliefs by doing research and finding what they think is right. This happens a lot with conservative parents. 

The important thing that can be taken from this is that being involved in politics at a young age can actually be a good thing. It can teach kids to think for themselves and find what they believe in. After all, Gen Z kids are already voting, so starting your research a little bit early will not hurt.