Which Halloween Movie is the Best?

With Halloween right on the horizon, students think about their favorite Halloween movies.

Morgan Romanski, Writer

A staple for the Halloween season has always been a good Halloween movie. From “The Conjuring” to “Nightmare Before Christmas”, most can enjoy a good scary movie during the spooky season. The real question is: what is the best Halloween movie?

Not surprisingly, the best Halloween movie according to students was “Nightmare Before Christmas”. Every one out of seven people in our survey said that their favorite movie was this Tim Burton classic. 

My favorite Halloween movie is probably The Nightmare Before Christmas. I don’t have a specific reason as to why, it just makes me really happy,” Kately Downey (‘24) says.  “I like Tim Burton movies, I like Danny Elfman movies, I like Halloween movies, I like Christmas movies… so, yeah! The Nightmare Before Christmas.” 

Not only did a lot of students pick “The Nightmare Before Christmas” as their favorite movie, but they picked the movie mostly for nostalgic reasons. 

“‘The Nightmare Before Christmas’ is my favorite Halloween movie because the music is amazing, and it’s very nostalgic for me,” Bria Jefferson (‘22) said. 

More often than not, students said that their favorite movies were Tim Burton, such as “Corpse Bride” and “Beetlejuice”. 

“[My favorite is] ‘The Corpus Bride’, Tara Clay (‘24) said. “I love Tim Burton’s attention to detail and style, the clay animation is smooth and feels magical, and I like the music.”
While most people tended to favor kid-friendly Halloween movies, many also listed some horror movies as their favorites for the season.

“The first and second Halloween because they are just classic movies,” Micheal Hammond (‘24) said. “The way they are shot is amazing.”

Overall, the resounding conclusion is that “The Nightmare Before Christmas” is the best Halloween movie. Whether or not you feel the same is up to you.