Lunch Unmasked

Photo by Aspen Deslongchamps

Lunch ladies proudly display new additions.

Over the years, school lunch has invoked all sorts of emotions from teachers and students alike. Sometimes the same and other times the responses couldn’t be more different. Students often either think the lunch is delicious, okay, or just downright awful.

Teachers have a similar stand point, and is also different. “We [teachers] actually have to pay more for our food than you guys do,” according to Coach Whitehead. “To be honest, I can’t really tell the difference [between last year’s food, and this year’s food].” 

“Ever since we [the school] started self-funding our own lunches, the food seems higher quality; much better.” Principal Moore said.

Have you ever wondered what the ‘lunch ladies’ thought of the food they give us? “Well, we haven’t received all of our new meals yet,” a ‘lunch lady’ said. “But so far, I really like the ravioli.”

“I eat some of it [the school’s food]. I really like the toasted ravioli, and the new four meat pizza. And, best of all, we now have real pepper, real salt, real butter, and even better, real cheese!” Another one added. So, it seems ‘lunch ladies’ do enjoy some of the meals they serve us.

Last, but definitely not least, what do students think of the lunch food? “Uh, I really like their nachos. Ooh, and their fries and stuff. Those are good too,” a student in C lunch says.  

“I usually get mostly Ala Carte. Like, chips and stuff. And the spaghetti. Oh, and the pizza’s better. A lot better,” Another student in D lunch said.

“I actually haven’t seen that much change. I mean, there’s more food and all, but the food tastes kinda like it did last year,” her friend sitting next to her said.

Have you noticed much change in Holt’s lunches?