The Real Meaning of Homecoming

Homecoming is the first dance of the school year. For a freshman, Homecoming is the first dance of their high school career. For seniors, Homecoming is the first of the last dances they have left in high school, but what is Homecoming really about?

The Homecoming definition is  “an instance of returning home.” When someone hears “Homecoming” they are first reminded of the original school dance, but some people can make reference to a soldier coming home from the military or reunion of a lost friend or family. Homecoming is not  all just about the music and the pretty dresses and the dance; it is about reunion.

Homecoming is the time to celebrate the reunion of students, teachers and friends. The official Homecoming game is the game to unite the whole school to celebrate one of the most loved American sports, football. The Homecoming parade is about uniting the whole town in a day of festivities and colors. Coming together as a whole is what Homecoming Day is about.

This is one of the reasons the school board has decided to put Homecoming parade on the same day for each school; it is so that the whole district can celebrate together without separation.

So just remember, that while slow dancing with a date or checking to make sure the look is still fabulous, this is all about uniting as a student body and starting off a new year together.