Changing Our World One Note at a Time

Hailey Shaw

Three juniors, Cassie Nichols, Paige Eller, and Ale Anchondo strive to keep music education alive.

Cuts in music education have been happening all around the country. Since this has now become a local issue, Ale Anchondo (‘18), Cassie Nichols (‘18) and Paige Eller (‘18) have advocated to be proactive in preventing the Wentzville School District from making these kind of cuts that are happening nationwide.

The three juniors are very passionate about music. In fact, ever since they began their journey with music at Peine Ridge Elementary, they have fallen more and more in love with it and have learned an uncountable number of life lessons that have shaped who they are today.  

“I cannot imagine what our lives would be like without music,” said Anchondo.

As well as band, Anchondo, Nichols and Eller are also involved in FCCLA (Family Career Community Leaders of America), a club that focuses on personal growth and leadership development through Family and Consumer Sciences education.  This led them to become part of a STAR (Students Taking Action with Recognition) Event, a competition where students are recognized for their achievements in individual/partner projects, leadership skills, and career preparation. Participants receive national recognition including medals, certificates, and a press release for local media.

Due to their involvement in Holt High School’s band program, they were inspired to share their passion and the importance of music with everyone. For their project, they are advocating and spreading awareness about keeping school music programs. Their main goal is to inform people about the importance of music education in a child’s life and the need for these programs in our schools. Some schools in Missouri, like the Hazelwood School District, have cut or have considered cutting their music programs due to things like budget issues. Although this is not currently happening at our school, they want to make sure it never does by influencing voters to keep our music programs.

“We are extremely passionate about music in the lives of everyone, which is why this entire competition is so much more to us than just a school project. We hope that we can actually change the way people view music and help them realize and appreciate just how important it really is”, said Nichols.

This trio’s goal is to inform people about how important music education is to children, and why these programs must stay in schools.

“I believe that music is essential to a child’s development and necessary for them to reach their full potential that they may never meet without music education in their life”, said Paige Eller.

“Although this is not happening in our school,” says Cassandra Nichols, “we want to make sure it never happens by influencing voters to keep our music programs.”

And how are they doing this? By going into the field personally to reach out to the public.

They visited two third grade classrooms at local elementary schools, presenting a simple music activity to them, hoping to inspire younger students to be more involved in music.

They spoke with Bryan Spencer, one of our Missouri District Representatives, about why this is an important issue, and their methods of convincing the public of the same.

Finally, they went to local stores, asking strangers. The majority agreed that music was important to a child’s growth, but a few were not so keen. They were persuaded with the evidence that the trio has gathered. They all signed their petition, getting over 500 signatures.

For what research they could not gather themselves, they took to the internet, where such information flots about, waiting to be taken in.

So what is it that sets music students apart from everyone else? Does being involved in music give them a successful advantage in life? The truth is, it actually does. It is proven that music enhances cognitive learning and stimulates growth in several areas of human development, such as motivation, social skills, time management, situational awareness, and aesthetic appreciation. Not only that, but it also has a direct relationship with creative thinking, decision-making, and problem solving and engages practically every area of the brain at once!

So the next time you or someone you know goes to the voting table and sees the removal of school music programs on the ballot, please vote NO.