A Warm Response from President Trump

The+letter+in+question-+written+by+President+Trump+on+June+8%2C+2017+in+response+to+Mrs.+Swansons+English+III+classes.+

The letter in question- written by President Trump on June 8, 2017 in response to Mrs. Swanson’s English III classes.

Back in November, Sydney Swanson’s English III classes sent a thoughtful question to President Trump- What will he do to keep the American Dream alive?

The classes had been reading The Great Gatsby, and the literary masterpiece inspired a discussion that would lead the classes to send letters to the President in regards to his feelings about the American Dream.

“I required the students to write the letters before the President was elected to eliminate any bias… and sent the letters after he was elected,” said Ms. Swanson. She encouraged the discussions and mailed the letters herself.

“I was somewhat nervous thinking he would respond or not,” said Zach Nevin (’18).

Eventually, the school year came to a close with no response from Trump. Students did not ever expect a response from him and forgot about it over the summer. However, a surprise was waiting in the mailbox when the 2017-2018 school year began.

Finally, after months of patient waiting, President Trump responded to the class on June 8, 2017. “I appreciate you taking the time to write and share your thoughts about the issues facing our nation,” said Trump.”It is important as young Americans, you learn as much as you can about matters concerning our country.” The President ended his letter with a warm wish for the student’s success in school, and the hope that students continue making changes in their community.

Students were very excited about his response.
Swanson framed the letter, and it sits on her white board as a reminder to her classes that even the most important people have the time- and give the effort- to respond to a high schooler’s American Dream.