The student news site of  Holt High School

The Tribe

Filed under Sports

Freshman Soccer Boys Hustle in the Second Half

Incredible Comeback from 0-3

Inspired by the words on their arms, the freshman soccer team comes back from 0-3 halftime score.

Passing the ball out of defense, Cale Barnes (’21), bearer of the word adventurous on his arm, focuses his mind on getting the ball up to midfield. “None of us wanted to lose on our own turf, and we didn’t feel like we were doing the best that we could. So, we decided to show them how we really played in the second half,” said Barnes.

Running down the field, Andrew Wania (’21) looks for the opportunity to score.

Going shoulder to shoulder with his opponent,  Jackson Mathison (’21) fought for the ball.

Securing safety in his space, Kade Bickel (’21) kicks the ball out into the field.

Kristen Mickeletto
At Monday’s game, the freshman boys soccer team was becoming discouraged. The boys were up against Hazelwood West, a brutal team who used speed and size to psych the Holt boys out. When halftime came around, Holt was down 0-3. However, Coach Sydney Swanson was not going to let her boys go without a fight. Delivering a rousing halftime pep talk, Swanson shook them out of their slump. 

Show them your arms!”

— Sydney Swanson

Before the game, Swanson had each of the boys write a word on their arm describing how they performed on the field. During her speech she screamed at the players to, “Show them your arms, you aren’t showing them your arms!” One of the freshman players especially took Swanson’s enthralling speech to heart.

“I really felt that I was being yelled at, like she was singling me out, like you can be doing better but you aren’t,” said Andrew Wania (’21).  Wania chose the the word on his arm to be ‘hustle’. “It’s what I’ve been told I’ve always done best in the field,” said Wania.

During the second half of the game, Wania scored two goals out of the three that tied the score against Hazelwood West. “When I scored my first goal, I was really surprised that I made it. I was pumped that I made it,” said Wania.

Jackson Mathison (’21) scored the first goal with an impressive meg between the goalkeepers’ legs.

Wania came through again and tied up the game. “When I scored my second goal, I was screaming and I even tackled my players, just screaming that we tied it up. I was super hyped,” said Wania.

Wania also had some words for his beloved coach. “Thank you for yelling at me and thank you for making me mad at myself and realize what was going on. Thank you for bringing me down to earth because I was kind of on my own cloud,” said Wania. 

The story of Monday’s freshman game was one of triumph, teamwork and talent under the passionate coaching of Sydney Swanson.

Good job, boys!

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Freshman Soccer Boys Hustle in the Second Half”

1. Julia Clawson on September 27th, 2017 11:58 am

I really like all the quotes you used in your article. I also like angle of the photo and the meaning behind it.

[Reply]

2. Jada on September 27th, 2017 12:12 pm

This was very entertaining to read, it put me in the players shoes.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Freshman Soccer Boys Hustle in the Second Half

Sports

Dribbling Into Greatness

Sports

Holt Varsity Wrestlers Already Aspiring for State

Sports

Holt Girls Just Keeps Swimming

Sports

A Promising Girls Basketball Season

Sports

Holt Cross Country Runs in the House of the Mouse

Sports

One Nation-ish

Sports

August Smash Hit for Holt Softball

Sports

Hat Trick Plus One

Sports

Track Preview

Sports

Madness