Julia Meyr Selected for District 6

The New VP

Julia Meyr Selected for District 6

A junior from Holt High School, Julia Meyr, has been selected as the Missouri DECA District 6 Vice President for the 2017-18 school year. This is a huge honor for one of our own peers.

The state officers were elected during the DECA Fall Leadership and State Officer Election Conference held in Lake Ozark this past October. Almost 700 high school marketing students and their teachers attended the annual conference.

DECA offers members the ability to develop leadership skills and professionalism that is essential for a successful career.

Meyr is interested in studying marketing or engineering after graduation and hopes to continue to be involved in DECA at the collegiate level.

I was excited to show people that even if the odds were stacked against me, I could do it.

— Julia Meyr ('19)

“[I’ve always had an interest in marketing.] My mom was really big in DECA when she was a kid, so she pushed me to do it. My whole family have professions in business and marketing,” Meyr said.

After having to submit an application, Meyr then had to create a video for approval. Then, at the fall conference, she gave a presentation in front of all of the students regarding her video which she made about sports.

“I did a campaign video to show everybody. I related my campaign to sports, so they played that in very beginning and had a meeting where all the students walked around the candidates,” said Meyr. 

The whole process took place before and during the DECA Fall Conference at Lake Ozark. Meyr stayed calm, determined, and excited throughout the decision.

“Later I had to do a speech in front of my district. I had to speak about my goals, what I was excited for, and what I wanted to accomplish. I had an interview with the state adviser and next day I went on stage in front of everyone to answer just one question,” said Meyr. 

Getting the District 6 Vice President was such a great honor for Meyr.

I was extremely excited and determined for the year to show everyone what I could do,” said Meyr. 

Everyone here at Holt, and especially Meyr’s fellow DECA members, is rooting for her!