The Tribe

• October 11Softball Varsity District @Liberty 1:00

• October 11Volleyball girls varsity Senior Night @Holt 5:00

Politics In Hollywood

Cale Barnes, Writer

The Nike ad, social media, and interviews. Politics and Hollywood are becoming more and more entwined. The two bleed into each other, with celebrities taking stances on social media and cries for boycotts coming from audiences.

Even recently, with the Captain Marvel trailer, some said that the hero, Captain Marvel played by Brie Larson, should ‘smile more’. The phrase is something often synonymous with catcalls or street harassment. In response, Larson replied with a series of pictures from the Twitter user HeyMermaid, which featured pictures of other Marvel heroes such as Iron Man, Captain America, and Doctor Strange, featuring cheesy and unnatural looking smiles. Many of them had very serious, no smile trailers, and received no such comments. This has already led to controversy over a movie that won’t even release this year.

It seems that people can not escape the constant news flow, condemning their favorite artists. Some people put down their heads and simply don’t care, while others take to social media or even the streets. And people within the entertainment industry are not silent either, taking stances of their own.

The band AJR released a song called Burn The House Down, which, when paying attention to the lyrics, is a song about wondering whether or not to join the political fight and wondering if the risks that come with it are worth it, then deciding and joining the fight, going after people such as corrupt politicians.

More well known, Imagine Dragons, the lead singer Dan Reynolds, is a massive LGBTQ supporter. He organized the Love Loud Festival, an event meant to draw garner support and money for LGBTQ youth. He’s spoken openly about his support, as well as the conflicts it led to with his religious side.

Sometimes, artists, actors, and producers taking a stance will lead to cries of boycotts. Other times it is met with a shrug and forgotten about. How much do you care about the political views and stances of entertainers, whether that be actors, musicians, or producers behind the screens?