Homecoming Takes Off

Photo taken by: Mrs. Folks, Ashleigh’s Mom.

Ashleigh Folks (‘21) and her friends Zoie Glenn (‘21) and Anabelle Morris (‘21) A walk at Indian Camp Creek before the big night.

If you were to ask someone what some of their most memorable moments were while they were in high school, most would probably answer Homecoming or Prom. Homecoming is a special night for many students, but it would be nothing without the constant preparation for the night in order to make it magical. For many, it is essential to get crafty. “I got a dress, some heels and I’m doing my own hair and nails to save money,” Anna Meyer (‘21) said. Many girls find it fun to find ways to still look good despite cutting costs.

Several students invited their friends over to get ready with them a few hours before the big night,”My friend came over to our house and we did our makeup together,” Ashleigh Folks (‘21) said. Everything’s better when you get together with your friends and dress up together.

Other students traveled to parks or in front of each other’s houses to get cute pictures with their friends or dates.  It was the perfect moment for them to show off their outfits or capture any candid moments with them and their friends. Afterward, most students found somewhere to stop and eat before the big night. Popular places to eat included Buffalo Wild Wings, Olive Garden, Apple Bees and the Tattooed Dog.

At the dance, many eagerly wait outside for the doors to be opened and to rush in and dance with their friends. The decorations were all airline themed, with clouds around the small gym walls and planes all around the the big gym. As students entered the gym, the green, white, and blue balloons greet them.

More and more people began to arrive throughout the night and the gym gradually got much more crowded. Mobs began to form in front of the stage with jumping people and teens screaming the lyrics to their favorite songs. Some left the dance floor for either a break from dancing the night away or for a cold drink in the small gym. Beverages such as Coke, Pepsi, Sprite, Mountain Dew and water were served as a way to keep the students cool and hydrated.

People eventually began to make their way to the tables that had been decorated or to the photo booth with their friends or dates so they could sit down. Students also really enjoyed the photo booth as a way to commemorate the fun-filled night.

Many were excited for the announcement of Homecoming king and queen. There was much anticipation for the big moment and when the names “Rylie Miller and Nick Mertens” were called, their friends erupted into a chorus of screams and cheers. The two walked up on stage and everyone began to congratulate them. The night eventually commenced after the announcement and there were plenty of songs for the king and queen, as well as other couples, to dance to.

The dance was full of spectacular moments among friends and dates that will last them a lifetime. As the night concluded, it was hard for people to say goodbye to their friends because, for some, it was going to be their last Homecoming. Despite the heat and aching joints, the night was still a blast for all of the students and it was, overall, an unforgettable night.