The Tribe

• May 9Band WMS Concert 6:30 @Holt High School

Cheer On!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Cheer On!

Skylar Hough ('20) gets ready to fly a lib.

Sakyia Johnson and Ta'Nia Anderson, Contributors

The high school cheerleading team is very excited about their upcoming winter season. For many cheerleaders, winter season is their best season because they feel as if they are able to interact with the crowd more. Winter cheer is more than just cheering for their team. It is about getting the crowd hyped and interested in them and the game.

This school year, our  Indian cheerleading team is being lead by coach Lauren Waltman who has had a lot to say about the upcoming season. ”I am very excited for the upcoming winter season. It gives me a chance to work with some of the younger athletes who have moved up to Varsity this season.  I also have a great group of senior leaders who will help guide our team to accomplish great things. As a coach, I’m always learning new things and it can be sometimes difficult with managing a whole squad. There are so many different personalities and talents that you have to combine together to make the team as cooperative as possible, But working with so many different skills and talent young athletes is worth it,” Waltman said.

She is doing everything she can to prepare the cheerleaders for their first game by making sure their learning the correct chants, cheers, and the material very well. One of Ms.Waltman’s expectations for the season is that they learn more  chants or cheers that get the crowd involved. A live crowd brings a live game. The school really has a very talented, skillful cheerleading team. If you have attended the recent pep rally or any of the football games, all of their routines were clean. Sometimes Ms. Waltman has the captains choreograph to come up with routines, or sometimes she has an input on the choreography herself.

Cheerleaders do not have to attend cheer camp because sometimes it is not possible for them , but making a effort does count. Ms. Waltman has some advice for the cheerleaders who did not make the squad this season: “Keep practicing both your jumps and tumbling during the off season, Hard work pays off.”

Marlie Keck is a cheerleader who is very excited about the upcoming season. She says that it is her favorite season because it is indoors and there is always more of a crowd. Keck said they have being practicing every day of the week, and will continue until the first game. “I’m excited for the basketball season because we have a lot of new talent on our team,” Keck said. Keck says that the team is like a family . She hopes that everyone can get along and just have fun doing what they enjoy. She’s ready to put her uniform on and root on the basketball teams.

The cheer team has been working extra hard to prepare for the exciting basketball games to come. The cheerleaders are definitely ready for new beginnings, new teammates and new memories to come. They are excited for all the upcoming games and and victories. The team is ready to CHEER ON !