The Tribe

• December 3Basketball Boys Varsity Game @6:30 vs Warrenton @Home

• November 20Blue and Gold Wrestling Scrimmage @6

Girls Swim Team Prepares for the Upcoming Season

Back to Article
Back to Article

Swimming is a sport that requires constant perseverance and effort. You need to be a dedicated participant, and you must possess the ability to put in the valuable time that is needed to hone your craft. This year holds a lot of promise for the girls’ swim team. The team is very eager, and they are ready to take on each obstacle that the upcoming season will throw their way. They anticipate great things for the season and hope it goes well. The girls have been working tirelessly to prepare for the season, and they predict that it will be a successful one.

Emily Barron, one of the senior captains, also anticipates that this will be a progressive season for the team. She thinks that because of the promising new recruits and the two new coaches, this year will be one to remember.

“It’s hard to tell because we did just start, but I think it’ll be really fun with all of the new swimmers and coaches we have. I think we will do really well,” said Emily (‘19).

There are only two seniors on the team this year, another new thing for returning swimmers. For Sophie Dattilo, the other senior captain, this will be her last time returning to the team.

“This season is quite different from last year because it’s my senior season, and my last time for all of these swim meets and early morning practices,” said Sophie (‘19).

Even though this is Sophie and Emily’s last year, they are still looking forward to it. They are excited see what will be different this year, but they are also anticipating some of their favorite things from the previous years. Even after they graduate and move on, they will still look back on the memories of what they most enjoyed about swim.

“My favorite part about swim is getting to do something I am passionate about with great teammates,” said Sophie.

“My favorite part is the relationships I have built. Girls’ swim is really close, and I have made my best friends through this sport, and I know many others have as well. I love the team aspect and bonding and how close we all have become,” added Emily.

Not only do the girls enjoy making friends and working together, they also like how practice is set up, and how it helps them grow stronger and improve. They have a typical routine that thoroughly prepares them for the upcoming meets.

“At practice we usually have an easy warm-up, then a harder set with as little more challenging intervals, sometimes we work on starts and turns, and we always finish with a cool down,” explained Emily.

Everyone in the team has there own strengths and weaknesses. It is something about themselves that each of them learns throughout the years, and through hard work, some of their most deprecating weaknesses have become their greatest strengths. Each member’s skills vary, which is the true thing that builds a strong and reliable team.

“I am best at the 50 free and 100 breaststroke… I’m [also] great at encouraging my teammates to push themselves past their comfort zone in order to be more successful,” said Sophie

“My best event is 100 free… My strengths are that I am a hard worker and I really enjoy real work. I love working with everyone to build a strong team,” followed Emily.

The two seniors are hoping to enjoy the new season, but they are sad to not be able to participate next year. Even so, they want to enjoy every last second of it. They are planning on working hard, and making sure that this season is a successful one.

“I am hoping for this season to be even more successful than the last, and to have a great senior swim season!” said Sophie.