The Tribe

• May 9Band WMS Concert 6:30 @Holt High School

Christmas Traditions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Christmas Traditions

Mic Beedy, Sports Editor

Many families all across the globe will wake up on December 25th to celebrate the holiday of Christmas. Families may wake up at early hours to gather around and open gifts, or they may gather together for family dinners to celebrate the holiday. Many people throughout Holt spend Christmas in many different ways.

Nick Swaringam (‘21) has a very special holiday tradition. Him and his brother make a “Christmas Chain” out of strips of paper. They make 25 strips of paper, and as every day passes they rip off a strip of the paper. “The excitement explodes near the end,” said Swaringam.

Savannah Conway (‘22) is one with pretty simple christmas traditions. Every year, her mom, her, and her brother will all go to her Grandma’s house on Christmas Eve and celebrate with her family by eating dinner and opening one present. Then, the next morning her family wakes up super early and celebrates by opening presents and eating cinnamon rolls.

Paige Starks’ (‘22) family kicks off Christmas with a game. Her family plays the saran ball game. This is a game where someone wraps the gift they gave someone and they try to unwrap it as fast as they can. Additionally, her family pulls a name from a hat during Thanksgiving, and whoever they get is the person who they have to give a present to.

Dylan Byas (‘20) plays an interesting German based game in his household as their Christmas tradition. The game is called “Find the Pickle.” The parents hide a fake pickle in a Christmas tree, then the kids go and try to find it. The first one to find the pickle gets to choose one of the other kids’ presents. Dylan has celebrated this for the past 12 years and has won three different times.

So however you spend the holidays with your family’s, make sure to have a great holiday season.

About the Writer
Mic Beedy, Sports Editor

Well hi! I'm Mic Beedy and I'm a Junior at Holt. I'm a huge Portland Thorns and USWNT fan. I play soccer here at Holt and for club. I also run cross country...