The Tribe

• May 9Band WMS Concert 6:30 @Holt High School

Vaping Epidemic

Back to Article
Back to Article

Vaping Epidemic

Let's keep our restrooms neat, clean and vape free.

Izzy Patton

Izzy Patton

Izzy Patton

Izzy Patton, Writer

The number of kids aged 13-18 who have said they use e-cigs has gone up 75% this past year. A rising problem in schools across the country is students vaping. In the short time of e-cig popularity, the number of underaged users has sky rocketed causing for the talk of this being one of the major problems in our country. An estimated 3 million students have begun vaping in high school, which is around 20% of all students. Many students do it to fit in, there are very few that use it as a way of getting off cigarettes they just see as a new trend that they need to be apart of. The product that started this outbreak is Juul, it is a black USB like device that is very easy to hide, many students get them as anyone who was 18 could buy for them. “I’ve never seen someone juuling in the bathrooms or anywhere at Holt,” said Mitchell Terbrock (‘21).

These problems have made there way into Holt High School, where the school had to notify teachers to decline most students when they ask to go to the bathroom, only letting them go when it’s an emergency.  Students may not even lay a head down in class or cover their mouth with their hand because teachers are worried about the juuling in classrooms. “Kids vaping don’t effect me it is up to them to make decisions like that, what does affect me is the unnecessary bathroom changes. Kids who actually need to go can’t anymore because of the vapers,” said Trent Matheney (21’).

The Juul has grown into a 15 billion dollar industry, with most of its profit coming from underage users. Most underage kids do not realize the risk of vaping is to their body and many adults to not realize underage kids buying these products. I investigated that many students at holt know at least 3 or more people who juul on a daily basis. The Juul has taken e-cigarettes into the spotlight of school officials, parents, and government agencies. The FDA has since found that the juul contains many chemicals and have now stopped production of flavored pods, which the FDA thinks attracts underage users. Juul has also made efforts to stop the problem by only allowing 21 year olds to buy the product. The website still is not secure enough to stop underage kids from ordering them.

This problem that has spread across the country is showing no sign of stopping. The FDA is putting in lots of effort to end this problem now, but I think it’s gotten to far and there is no stopping the spread of underage smoking. The companies that the FDA shuts down will always have a company alike that will take its spot.  The newest one to get underage attention is the NJoy, which is more affordable and easier to get for underage kids, the epidemic will never end but there needs to be a way to get it out of the schools.

About the Contributor
Izzy Patton, Writer

My name is Izzy Patton and I am on the golf team here at Holt. I also cheer competitively with Full Out. This is my first year in magazine, I joined after...

4 Comments

4 Responses to “Vaping Epidemic”

1. Connor Dalton on February 27th, 2019 1:23 PM

its Annoying it’s not cool to juul, same kids that juul are the same kids that listen to mo bamba and sicko mode on repeat ¨ I’ve never seen someone juuling in the bathrooms or anywhere at Holt,” said Mitchell Terbrock¨ must not go to the bathroom ever lol what I like to do is walk in real fast dangling my keys to act like a teacher and scare the juulers.

2. Brandon Lacke on March 11th, 2019 1:07 PM

Great article that draws attention to a big problem at Holt

3. Brandon Lacke on March 11th, 2019 1:08 PM

Great article that draws attention to a major problem at Holt

4. Ethan Kuhn on March 12th, 2019 11:40 AM

This is a very well written article and I agree with what connor says

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Vaping Epidemic

News

The Problem With Anonymity on Social Media

• Vaping Epidemic

Features

Inclusivity in Robotics

• Vaping Epidemic

Features

Stress Is Taking Over

• Vaping Epidemic

Entertainment

Metal is Music

• Vaping Epidemic

Entertainment

What are some things high school students do during the summer to have fun?

• Vaping Epidemic

Showcase

The Brilliant Blues

• Vaping Epidemic

Showcase

Holt Band Crushes State

• Vaping Epidemic

Features

Future Plans

• Vaping Epidemic

Features

A Bright Future for a Student Police Explorer

• Vaping Epidemic

Features

Thoughts on the 2018-19 Yearbook

The Student News Site of  Holt High School
Vaping Epidemic