Your Choices Can Make All the Difference

Sydney Swanson

Students act out a scenario in which poor choices can lead to disastrous results.

For many people prom is a night that most of them will remember forever. Students are able to dress up, go out to a nice meal and dance the night away with their friends to make memories that will last their lifetime.

However, as the dancing dies down and people go their separate ways, decisions, both good and bad, happen. Students can make the choice to have a good and safe night. However, some students do not always decide to make the best choices after prom.

Sadly, some students make the choice to drink and drive after a good night. When students drink and drive, they easily turn the night of their lives into a nightmare that might end their life.

Statistically speaking, at least one in ten students will drink and drive in their life. 1 in 5 teens that died fatally in a car crash had alcohol in their system. Eight teens die everyday from a DUI situation.

Wentzville fire department recognizes this epidemic and they are taking drastic measures to make sure something like this doesn’t happen again. The Friday before prom, the team came in to do a demonstration in front of the juniors and seniors.

The fire department brought in an entire car and lugged it onto the stage of the auditorium. After the team accomplished that impressive feat, they gave a demonstration of what happens to teens who drink and drive and what must be done to their vehicle.

The students were in awe. The department destroyed the car by prying the doors off the car and breaking the hood in to show what must be done to get a passenger out of the vehicle. They learned that it takes an average of five minutes to get a dying passenger out, which can be scary in a life or death situation.

“It was interesting to see the way that they pulled apart the car. I didn’t realize that they did that,” said David Tauser (‘20).

Due to the assembly and good choices, the students of Holt were able to have a good time at prom and come out safe and alive. It really is the choices you make can determine your life.

In this act, students who witness the result of the bad decisions made after Prom react. Savannah Sunneburg (’21) reacts in shock. Photo by sydney Swanson.
The firefighters of Wentzville work together to put on a demonstration that will place a lasting impact on students. Photo by Sydney Swanson.