The Tribe

• May 9Band WMS Concert 6:30 @Holt High School

Filed under Features, Showcase

Starting Over

Back to Article
Back to Article

Starting Over

Students Tania Anderson('21) and Alysa Hand('21) stand in front of their new school

Izzy Patton

Izzy Patton

Izzy Patton

Starting at a new school is never easy, not even when just switching from middle to high school. Tania Anderson (‘21) came from Lift For Life Academy in Downtown St. Louis after being there from seventh to ninth grade. At the start of this year, her sophomore year, her and mother moved to Wentzville and got her enrolled in Holt.

“I would say race and size of classes and how we learn, everything was hands on there, now all I do is take note and hope I remember,” said Anderson on  the biggest differences between the schools. Anderson’s old school was very small, unlike here with even just the sophomore class being over 500 students, it is a very big change and hard to adjust to.  At the old school Anderson did not have to pay for lunches, and was not restricted to just cafeteria food, she could leave campus to get lunch. Having to pay for lunches has been very irritating for Anderson because she would rather spend money on other things like clothes. At her old school they wore uniforms and she much rather prefers that then having to buy new school clothes.

With our school being so big and having so many students, you would assume that fitting in and making new friends would be easy, but for Anderson it is not as easy when you are not a part of a group. Whether it is sports or a club, it is not always easy to find where you feel your fit. Not having many friends or people to talk to in your school can make the day very difficult and tiring.

Another student, Alysa Hand (‘22), switched from Liberty High School halfway through second semester. Her switch was not like others, as she did not get to finish the year but was taken out towards the end. Hand had an older brother who attended Holt but graduated about seven years ago. Hand came here worried about her teachers remembering the last name and thinking she was a troublemaker like her brother. Liberty is a newer school, which makes the layout completely different. “we have 4 main hallways and a section for gym and cafeteria, and here it is everywhere, doesn’t feel as sectioned, and I struggle to find my classes,” said Hand. Another thing that Liberty has is a very generous vending machine. It was Hand’s favorite because when she bought one thing she got two but here however, the vending machine is not so generous.

Both Tania Anderson and Alysa Hand were not happy about moving here and have had to learn and overcome obstacles while at Holt. Anderson is lucky enough to be able to visit her friends over weekends and text when they are not together but Hand does not have that luxury. Hand does not have a working phone and has not been able to go and see all of the people she left. You could only imagine the homesick feeling from having to move districts and leave behind friends.

About the Contributor
Izzy Patton, Writer

My name is Izzy Patton and I am on the golf team here at Holt. I also cheer competitively with Full Out. This is my first year in magazine, I joined after...