Holt Band Crushes State

From April 25-27, students from Holt’s band competed in one of the biggest competitions of their season, and quite possibly their lifetime. They competed at the annual MHSHAA State Solo and Ensemble Festival in Columbia, Missouri.

At this festival, only the best of the best were sent from each school and just making it to this competition was a success in itself. To earn this spot, students had to qualify at the district competition last month. On a weekend, students traveled University of Missouri to secure their spot to state.

The Wentzville schools showed up. Holt, Timberland, and Liberty all made it to state and excelled. Out of the musicians in the Wentzville School District, 40 earned gold, 63 earned silver, and 15 won bronze.
Below mentioned are the Holt Students who earned a gold rating (the best of the best):

Winning the bass clarinet solo was Tyrome Jenkins

For both saxophone solos, Megan Steber and Reed Shimkus took home the gold.

The trumpet solo winner was Hayden Miller

French horn solo took home the gold with Cameron Turner

Winning the euphonium solo was Kane Calvillo

With a group win, Reed Shimkus, Megan Steber, Cora Sverdrup, and Logan Arellanes won the saxophone quartet.

The last trio won gold in trumpets and it included Hayden Miller, Jeremy Gendron and Cameron Turner

The brass quintet gold winners were Hayden Miller, Jeremy Gendron, Cameron Turner, Tim Rose, Michael Fegan

For some of the band, they were returning gold medalists. For the Saxophone Quartet including Reed Shimkus, Megan Steber, Cora Sverdrup and Logan Arellanes. For that group, it is their second year in a row getting gold at state.

“It’s a great thing to be a part of a group like that can say that we’ve accomplished that level of playing ability,” said Cora Sverdrup (‘20).

For many of the members, it will be their last year competing at a high school level. Earning the gold in their last competition is a great way to end the season.

Congratulations to the band members and good luck in later competitions.