Holt football takes on rival Timberland High School on September 20th. (Ava Fisk)
Holt football takes on rival Timberland High School on September 20th.

Ava Fisk

Football’s Hot Start

October 2, 2019

Holt football continues to impress as they continued their hot start to the season this last Friday beating Howell Central 45-7, extending their win streak to five games. Controlling this game from beginning to end, the Indians racked up over 500 yards of offense and scoring seven touchdowns. This offensive attack was led by sophomores Kyle Wuebbeling, who put up 170 total yards along with three touchdowns, Quarterbacks Cooper Brown and Payton Hoker who put together 330 passing yards, with 200 of those yards going to Jackson Smith. 

With eight touchdowns on the season, Jackson Smith leads the team with over 800 all-purpose yards on the season, averaging over 100 yards through the air. With the passing game clicking, Kyle Wuebbeling has taken over the run game, five yards away from having three straight 100 yard games and scoring six times on the year, Wuebbeling has become a major part of Holt’s booming offense.

Along with this offense, Holt’s defense has been just as good, only allowing 65 points and forcing 11 interceptions and recovered three fumbles through five games. The defense is led by sophomore Zakhi Johnson, who has made 19 total tackles, four being for a loss for the other team, along with two sacks on the season. 

With this hot start to the season, the team has high hopes for the reminder, with Quarterback Cooper Brown. “This season is going very well, and we’re hoping for an undefeated season and we’re putting in the work to make that happen,” Brown said. Sophomore receiver Alex Ginnever said the team worked hard all summer long. “ We didn’t work all summer long to lose; we worked to win and go out and make history,” Ginnever said.

The Indians are hoping to extend their win streak this Saturday, October 5 at 1:00 pm. They play a 3-2 Troy team who’s coming off a 24-42 loss to Howell Central. This game is at Troy and they will need all of our support.