COPPA Commotion

Back to Article
Back to Article

COPPA Commotion

The thumbnail of the newest and latest video made by TerminalMontage

TerminalMontage

TerminalMontage

TerminalMontage

Adian Kline, Writer

In just a couple of weeks, the world will be launched into a whole new decade. With a new decade there is a new outlook on things, hopefully for the better. Unfortunately, this year will kick off with a sour note. Youtube which is the biggest video sharing company is under fire right now with the FTC. 

Now, Youtube has made a lot of mistakes here and there with things like the adopcalsye, Youtube Kids and monetizing videos, but they have finally made their huge mistake. Youtube has been fined 170 million dollars for going against COPPA. If you know what this is you have seen this buzzing around on Youtube, but you don’t it stand for Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act. 

It was made in 1998 to protect kids under 13 from ads because it unethical to trick them with ads. So it means nobody can collect any information of kids to give to companies so they can sell ads. Now, to be on Youtube, you actually have to be over 13, according to the terms and conditions, to make an account. That’s why Youtube made Youtube Kid to keep younger people away from the main site. 

But the FTC found a little dirt that said otherwise. In an official document, COPPA showed evidence of Youtube flat out saying it is for kids with the quote “Youtube was unanimously voted as the favorite site kids 2-11.” Not only that, but saying 93 percent tweens visit Youtube to watch videos. They keep digging themselves into a hole with channels like Barbies and Thomas and Friends that are basically fishing for kids.

Now, yes, this is all about kids, so why do high school students over 13 care? Well, it is because with this act, it will change a lot of youtubers worlds. 

At this point, the act is very vague with what is aimed and what is not aimed for kids or not. According to FTC, if it has any activities that kids like, has a big audience that has kids, and includes characters, celebrities, or toys that appeal to children, it is deemed aimed for kids. This is a problem because anything to storytelling, gaming, vlogging and animation can be seen to attract kids.

Even the language used or what the thumbnail looks like can affect the ruling on that video. Now, why this a big deal is because if labeled kid friendly youtubers lose a lot of their targeted ads that make up to 60 to 90 percent of their money and will not be put on the recommended page. It is not okay to label them kid friendly when it is seen as kid friendly under COPPA. You can get finned around 42,000 dollars for each video that does have this mark.

Because of this act, youtubers will have a big shift with not being kid friendly, but also not being too controversial.

Students here will see the effect and are concerned how Youtube will change.

“It will be only bland uninteresting boring content that’s been filtered,” Shane Mcdaniel (23) said.

If people have to shift their content, then it could change the fanbase as well. Shane also said that creators he like might get pushed out.

“Pewdiepie, Odd1’sout and CircleToon will have to change up their content and it will push people away,” Mcdaniel said.

In addition, another student has some worries about how it would affect their viewing on Youtube.

“I watch a lot of DIY or toy customizing video and it is meant for everyone, not just for kids, but if seen as kid friendly they will probably take down their channel and I won’t be able to watch them. It is just annoying,” Olivia Pope (22) said.

Again, the scariest part of all of this is that it will be in action right after new years, which is not that far away. Even with it being so close, we still don’t know how hard COPPA going to hit on videos or channels. Some youtubers maybe  wiped out or if their lucky they will survive but have to change their content. If you would like ,you can write a nice and well thought out comment to the FTC to help the ruling with it and try to change their minds. But with little time left there is no real knowing what will really happen.