More Involved Schools Causes More Involved Students

High school is a separate culture of its own, constantly changing with the students in it.

Jacob Rothenberger

High school culture changes at rapid rates due to the constant exiting and entering of students and segregation of underclassmen from upperclassmen in most classes, that bars the majority of students from interacting with those much younger or much older than them at school. This is why there are such stark differences between each class, despite the overall similar high school experience. It is these differences that separates each class as their own, beyond the differences in age.

Freshmen at Holt are assisted in their first year by Link Crew members once a week in A.I. Link Crew is a club that helps guide freshmen in their first year when it comes to highschool staples like grades, clubs, sports and events that they may want to attend.

“A freshmen with no direction has nowhere to go, we didn’t have Link Crew when I was in High School and that helps underclassmen get involved more,” Coach Hammond said, a Holt alumni who is very active in our High school as a teacher and coach.

Holt now has far more clubs than we have had in the past. This is a good thing because it allows students to find subjects that interest them, as well as meet others who share these interests. However, with new opportunities to express yourself and more specific ways to group together, also means more ways for kids to be alienated if they are not part of any clubs, or even if they are not part of the right club.

“When I was in high school it didn’t matter if you played baseball, football, if you wrestled, you were an Indian,” said Coach Hammond.

Kids are more divided now than they were, but it is not a totally surprising. Wentzville School District is much larger than it was even just ten years ago. In 2021 Wentzville will be getting a fourth highschool to send students to, when  just six years ago Liberty was added to help mitigate the booming student populations of Holt and Timberland.

With more students in each high school, and even more high schools to forge rivalries with, it makes sense that tribalism would occur, especially since what High School you go to is typically a source of pride for most students, especially those who are active in their school. More polarization in the student body, obviously causes more responses from the schools to promote unity. There are more anti-bullying campaigns now than there ever have been. Visits from groups like KUTO and Chads Coalition, the schools is far more involved in student health and interactions then they used to be, showing an increased interests in students health by the schools that should hopefully translate into schools having healthier teens then have had in the past.