Corona Crisis

The Coronavirus keeps on spreading and leaving people very worried.

The Coronavirus of 2020 has caused many people to worry around the world. But, it is starting to get out of control. It is not only leaving people sick, but it is causing many events of to be cancelled because of the outbreak. We are still trying to look for answers on how the virus can be treated and prevented so that we do not get severely sick The media is covering the media bout the virus and continue to talk about its dangers and how it keeps spreading. Now, schools are even starting to get closed down for the outbreak because it is spreading all over the world now. 

According to the World Health Organization, Cornonaviruses (CoV) are a large family of viruses that cause illness ranging from the common cold to the more severe diseases such as Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS-CoV) and Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS-CoV). Cornonaviruses are zoonotic, which means they are transmitted between animals and people. Common signs of infection include respiratory symptoms, fever, cough, shortness of breath and breathing difficulties. In more severe cases, infection can cause pneumonia, severe acute respiratory syndrome, kidney failure and even death.

As of right now, there is no specific medicine to prevent or treat the new virus.

In the state of Missouri, eight cases of the virus have been detected so far by doctors and some are around the St. Louis area.

Some students might be excited since they have an extra week off from school and spring break is just starting to roll right around the corner. But, this situation has caused many students to not be very happy and want our city to make changes on better ways on how to prevent the virus from spreading.

“People just need to follow basic hygiene rules and if they are told by authorities to quarantine, they should do it and not spread it. Some people ignore it and now it’s a big deal,” Sophie Buehrer (‘23) said.

However, some students think that it was wise for schools to  close down due to the virus.

“We can get rid of the virus faster if we do not spread it and when you are at school, there is a good chance we can get the virus and spread it to more people,” Hannah Hartwell (‘22) said.

As of now, schools are taking a pause to continued learning and are figuring what they are going to do next for their students.

“I feel that it is important to take the threat of COVID-19 seriously as a pandemic and closing schools was one way to slow the spread of a virus. If individuals take the necessary precautions and actually stay home and away from gathering in groups, this method could prevent spreading this virus further. It is unfortunate that it came at some form of learning as a result,” Mrs. Crawford said.

As schools keep on closing, the virus keeps on spreading itself. Everybody is worried that there is no current cure as of right now and are working really hard to stay healthy. The world has taken drastic measures to this virus, even having drive thrus outside of hospitals where people drive up and get tested. Stores are running low on so many items that they are unable to stock up on more, like hand sanitizer and toilet paper. No one knows, will the virus ever come to an end?