An Early Goodbye

Michelle Seghers

After the news from EF that all exchange students would be going home early, Josefine Kruse (’20) from Sweden was surprised with an early graduation from her host family.

Michelle Seghers
Josefine Kruse (’20) gets a surprise pretend graduation in her host family’s home.
Michelle Seghers
Kruse will always love her Indians deep down in her heart.
Michelle Seghers
A piece of Kruse will always be an Indian and she hopes that the friendships she made will be long-lasting.
Michelle Seghers
“I really loved the school spirit and the dedication to sports,” Kruse said.
It seems surreal that this journey is over, but Kruse had a wonderful experience in America.

It was an early goodbye from America for Josefine Kruse (’20). Although Kruse was expecting the orders from Education First (or EF for short) to go home, she was not expecting to come home to Sweden this soon. The hardest things for her were leaving everyone here and missing out on the last big high school events. Early on, she, her parents and her host parents had decided that she was going to stay in America and not head home to Sweden; but the orders came that everyone on the exchange was going to be sent home.

“It’s hard getting such short notice about leaving and no longer having the power to decide when you will leave,” Kruse said.

Kruse’s host family, the Seghers, became her second family and Makenna Seghers (’21), who attends Holt, made a strong connection with Kruse right away. It was a connection that they will share for the rest of their lives.

“I will miss my host family most, obviously, but I will also miss my friends. It’s something special having friends in other countries. Madison Hunke (’20) became my best friend during the wrestling season. She made my American high school experience what it was. I would not have enjoyed my time here as much without her,” Kruse said.

Kruse ran cross country, wrestled and had planned to play soccer. She and her Michigan friend, Moa, play on the same soccer team in Sweden and they plan to surprise their coach.

“We are excited to get back to Sweden. We didn’t tell our coach we were leaving, so we are surprising him,” Kruse said.

One of the biggest things that Kruse will take away from her year in America is the school experience. As her English improved, so did her understanding of the American culture. One of the biggest benefits of the cultural exchange is learning about the culture of countries, which leads to stronger bonds among nations, which is important today more than ever.

As Kruse journeyed back home to Sweden, she tried to stay positive at the empty airport in Detroit, where she had a ten-hour layover. A friend, who placed in another state had the same flight as her from Michigan.

“I did absolutely nothing, except wait for a friend who was placed in Michigan this year. The airport was empty except for a lot of people in masks and gloves,” Kruse said.

There are other things Kruse is looking forward to when she arrives home. One way she kept busy during her ten-hour layover, was thinking of things she will look forward to when she does arrive back home.

“Sleeping in my own bed, seeing my family and a new dog, which they apparently got while I was gone, and seeing my friends, of course, are what I am most excited about. Also, I miss public transport. When you live in Sweden, your entire life you hate public transportation, but when you are gone from it, you miss it and how close everything is and how easy it is to get around,” Kruse said.

Although her exchange year was cut short, she made countless friends and memories. Kruse loved the American culture, and made her year special, no matter how short it came. Hopefully, she will maintain some of those memories for a lifetime.