The Household Effects of COVID-19

Millions+of+Americans+have+lost+their+jobs+due+to+COVID-19.+

Anabelle Morris

Millions of Americans have lost their jobs due to COVID-19.

The Corona Virus or COVID-19 has shut down schools all over the nation, including the Wentzville School District. As most already know, restaurants, as well as other places, are closed, stores have new hours, and citizens are strongly advised to stay at home and practice social distancing. With families that are not used to all this time spent together, problems may arise.

Many families have parents that work long hours, children who go to friends’ houses, and other clubs/events that give them space from each other. However, with social distancing in full-effect, most families are all home, under the same roof for the majority of the day. Siblings that are used to the well-needed break from each other are at each other’s throats causing arguments and all-around household drama. Similarly, parents are home much more than before, leaving those students with not so great parent-child relationships in more frequent heated discussions.

With the shutdown of the majority of businesses, many families lost their primary source of income. Leaving parents more stressed than ever as they try to adjust to their new set budget during this time. Some seek new temporary jobs to uphold their families’ needs while risking the possibility of contracting COVID-19. The shutdown also has an effect on working students. Many high school students have some sort of after school job to make money for gas, bills, activities with friends, and to save up for college. With all the closures, some students lost their jobs, putting a dent in their savings/financial plans. Families are able to call

Kaiser Family Foundation
Personal Worries About The Coronavirus

and ask for a cease of mortgage, car and other payments for the time being.

Coronavirus is affecting the whole world and is infecting over 500,000 people. All over nation leaders are doing their best to try and fight this epidemic, many whose solutions include social distancing. Millions have lost their jobs, leaving families on a temporary money shortage. Due to being stuck at home, many households are arguing and fighting more than ever. COVID-19 is affecting everyone, everywhere, all we can do is do our part is winning this invisible war.