How Is Online School?

Many students stay up late working on writing essays and completing other assignments.

Sierra Romanski

Since the COVID-19 pandemic began to speed up during the middle of March, schools all across the country slowly transitioned to online schooling to avoid further spreading the virus. Holt has been doing online school since about March 15th and students are finally falling into a  routine and slowly adjusting to the new way of learning.

In a survey conducted, about 53 percent of students said that they did not like online school at all and about 47 percent of students said that they did. The vote is almost perfectly split.

For the majority of students who said that they do not like online school, the reason why seems to be fairly unanimous.

I feel like I’m doing it just to complete it at this point and move on,” Caleb Cowen (20’) said. 

Others who dislike online school claim that there is way too much work being given out from teachers.

“We get assigned way more work than we do in regular school, and it’s hard to teach yourself when you do not know the material,” Mya Robinson (‘21) said.

The students who do enjoy online school have very split opinions on why they like it so much.

“I personally like it more when it comes to productivity. When I feel like doing work, I can knock out the whole week’s worth of assignments and have the rest of the time to myself. If I want to follow the due dates every day and stay on a schedule, I can do that too. It offers lots of flexibility,” Karson Miller (‘21) said.

If there was one thing that students would be able to change about online school, most would like less work so that they are not constantly feeling overwhelmed. In the end, this will all be over soon and our lives will return back to normal, which is something to look forward to for all.