5 Ways to Relieve Stress

As the beginning of the school year tests students’ adjustment skills, we may be left feeling overwhelmed and stressed out. Every high school student should know ways to relieve stress.

1.) Listen to music: Jamming out to your favorite music for a break is the easiest way to relieve stress. Create a playlist of music that you love; whether it’s mellow, loud, fast, or slow. If you aren’t sure what music to release stress to, Twenty-One Pilots is highly recommended. Their bass-thumping music is a must for relieving stress.

2.) Write it down, then throw it away: If there’s a particular thing making you stressed, write it down. Rant and rave about whatever, or whoever, is stressing you out. Once you get all of your thoughts out; crumple the paper up and throw it away. Picture yourself throwing the stress off of your shoulders. It can’t reach you anymore.

3.) Take a bath: Guy or girl, this works. Take a bath with good music, warm water, and maybe even a book or magazine. Bubbles are optional (though highly recommended for total stress-relieving powers). Let yourself become calmed by the warm water.

4.) Read a book: Reading allows your mind to escape and focus on one task at a time. One of the most commonly used methods for lessening anxiety is focusing on one task and blocking out everything else. Whether it’s a new book you haven’t read, or one of your old favorites, choose a book and curl up with it. Let yourself escape for a little while. You have time.

5.) Take a walk: Get outside and let the air clear your mind. You can choose how fast or slow you keep your pace, but walking helps relieve the stress. Sitting still in front of a stressful task only furthers the frustration at yourself. Walk to a certain destination or just randomly around your neighborhood, with a friend or by yourself. It’s all up to what helps you relieve stress the best.

High school can be stressful at times, especially at the beginning. Our minds are still in summer and always looking forward to the next four-day weekend or break. Keep these stress relieving tips in mind when you’re finding the transition back into school-mode difficult or overwhelming. Add to the list of things you find that personally help you.