What’s Waiting at the Library

At Holt High School there is an “ever growing reading culture from students and teachers alike,” said Ms. Lock, Librarian, and the library is always willing and eager to help fuel its growth.

Many students in high school feel as if they are overwhelmed, weighed down with sports, homework, and life itself. They think they don’t have time to read a book. But the library offers more than just books. They have audiobooks and ebooks,  newspapers and magazines.  But the most important thing they offer, is fun.

The library opens early, before school, and is a great place to hang out with friends and catch up on homework. The librarians always have fun things going on, like puzzles and games that you can sit down and relax with. The librarians also have “decompression tubs” where students can come down, with the permission of teachers, and relax, color, puzzle, and unwind when students are extremely stressed.

The library also offers academic help to students in need. Academic Zone takes place in the library from 2:20-3:25 every Monday through Thursday, where people can make up tests, work on homework, and get tutoring from teachers. The librarians also will teach students how to use research browsers, both that the school supplies, and the public library, which in the month of September is offering library cards and replacement cards for free.

Most of all though, the library offers books, all sorts of books, fiction and non, from comics to autobiographies. There are hundreds. They even have clubs for them. Reading Club is a monthly meet up club that goes on during lunch. The theme this year is Sweet Reads.

The library is a place stocked to the brim with books and overflowing with knowledge. It is the best resource, besides teachers, in this school. It’s waiting for you.