The Future of Education Starts Now

Nick Sauers

Covid-19 has caused the relevance of zoom and other virtual learning sites to skyrocket. Without technology, continuation in curriculum would be impossible.

We are all aware of the virus known as Covid-19. It has taken a toll on all of our lives in one way or another. We have experienced public areas closing, supplies running out at stores, and pretty much being trapped at home for weeks.

However, even in times of trouble, it is significant to focus on the education of the students.

New education methods for schools take a lot of getting used to for both teachers and students. A few weeks ago, everyone was in the same class interacting face-to-face and having interactive lessons with the teacher in an actual classroom. Now everyone is stuck at home on their computers trying to stay up-to-date on assignments and interacting with everyone through a screen. 

Because of how sudden the restrictions were placed on learning, the new methods will take some getting used to. But what is the workload like right now for students?

“At least this first week, it feels pretty small,but I think it’ll start ramping up,” Kaiden Henderson (‘23) said. 

For most classrooms, classes seem to be assignment-based right now. However, many teachers are planning to start virtual learning over the next few weeks.

But why is it easier to start out? Why not just jump right into the curriculum? 

“It’s like the first week of normal school. It’s always easier,”  Henderson continued.

Even though it is a slow start for the learning, certain areas that this virus has affected have been unrecorded. Nobody knows what to do in times of trouble like this because this truly is a new section of history. 

The problem is, no one knows, how long this virus will affect our country. Students may have to use these online programs for longer than expected. Programs that create a virtual learning environment could become the norm. Classrooms could become obsolete.

Technology allows us to do many things and it is mainly the reason we are able to make so much progress in our learning in these times. Even though this virus had caused a minor step backward in our learning system, it could also be a major step forward in changing education forever.