The Tribe

Into Dust

Emily Teismann, Contributor

The movie took the box office by storm, ranking the 4th highest grossing film of all time and yet it left fans feeling defeated and unsatisfied: Marvel’s Avengers: Infinity War. I was one of the disheartened fans. For me, the ending was shattering. I watched my beloved characters perish or dissolve into dust and the villain win by a landslide. I was, for lack of a better term, flabbergasted. I couldn’t believe my eyes, and I wasn’t the only one. The entire theater was in shock, and utterly silent. One question in everyone’s minds was: did that just happen?

As an audience, one of our main reasons to watch a movie is often to escape the reality in which the good doesn’t always triumph and evil runs rampant through society. Infinity War was given so much hype, everyone knew about it and it was overflowing with excitement to see it. However, when they saw it, they were beyond surprised. At the end of the movie, Marvel announced there would be a part two, but that did little to dispel the feeling of defeat and hopelessness that still lingered in the hearts of its ever loyal audience, including my own heart.

Rumors have floated around about the return of the dissolved characters and the defeat of Thanos. Numerous sources, who site the comics as their support, say Tony Stark will be building his own Infinity Gauntlet then by using Doctor Strange’s Time Stone to reverse time, he’ll fix the events that are to come. This has relieved many fans,  however, has left more than a few, to say the least, skeptical.

Another rumor centers around the arrival of a new MCU character that Director Fury was seen trying to contact before he dissolved: Captain Marvel. Rumors say her powers will prove to be of great importance and may prove vital to the outcome of the next movie. A few other rumors include the original six Avengers taking control of the six Infinity Stones, the X-Men joining the fray, the title of the upcoming movie, and the possibility of a new threat called the Skrolls, humanoid shapeshifters that Director Nick Fury, according to a rumor, has been expecting from some time.

While many feel relieved at the knowledge of these rumors, I am among those that are rather more nervous of the things to come. While rumors are only rumors, some can hold verity, which can either bode well or quite the opposite. For now though, only time will tell which of those hold truth and which hold deceit. The wait will be agonizing and worrisome for many, including myself, while thrilling and exciting for others.

Yet, even with all the agonizing waits, curveballs, cliffhangers, gut wrenching character deaths to list but a few, Marvel still manages to keep us on the edge of our seats, bursting with laughter, sobbing with grief, and curling our fists in anger at the screen. Truly a rollercoaster. Well done, Stan Lee. You have truly created a beautifully woven masterpiece filled with amazing, relatable characters that will be known for generations through movies and the original nostalgic comics. Thank you for this precious gift.